MCWD relies on the Salinas Valley Groundwater Basin for its supply and is leading efforts to identify sustainable additional water supplies to meet the future needs of customers, the Ord Community and the region. We have learned there are no silver bullets to solve the regional water supply issues. Marina Coast FutureH20 is a bold initiative built on regional leadership, investment in infrastructure, local control and realistic alternatives that will ensure we have safe, affordable water well into the future.
Residents in our service area
Above statewide average conservation rate
Securing Our Water Supply
Since we were founded, MCWD has been committed to research and innovation to manage our precious groundwater, to prevent saltwater intrusion and work collaboratively with others to study and identify alternative and sustainable long-term water supplies.
Infrastructure & Investment
MCWD remains committed to ongoing research, investment in infrastructure while remaining focused on providing safe water at reasonable rates.
As we develop new water supplies for the future, we also must protect our existing rights. In 2015, The California Department of Water Resources granted MCWD exclusive Groundwater Sustainability Agency (GSA) status over parts of the Monterey Subbasin and the 180/400 Subbasin.
MCWD & Desalination
MCWD supports innovation and technology to develop new and affordable water supplies, which could someday include desalination. The key is that these projects must be done responsibly, with careful consideration and scientifically sound data.
Conservation & Demand
Water demands within the district were below the state and regional averages long before the recent drought due to aggressive water conservation practices.
Additional conservation and demand management measures include:
- Working towards the metering of all water services
- Large landscape conservation programs and incentives
- High-efficiency washing machine rebate programs
- School education programs
- Water survey programs for single-family and multifamily residential customers
- Residential plumbing retrofits
- System water audits for leak detection and repair
- Public information programs
- Conservation programs for commercial, industrial and institutional accounts
- Wholesale agency assistance
- Conservation coordinator to oversee and implement water conservation practices
- Water waste prohibitions
Copyright © 2024 Marina Coast Water District. All Rights Reserved.